On May 4, the Antelope Valley Chapter of the NSDAR hosted a luncheon at Desert Vineyard Chapel, Lancaster, to recognize and honor Chapter Award winners in three areas:
• Viola Lawrence Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship is a monetary award, named in memory of a deceased member of our Chapter. It is given to a deserving student in the Antelope Valley College Nursing Program. This year’s recipient is Elizabeth Jacobs.
• Excellence in Community Service: This award is given to recognize worthy individuals or organizations for outstanding unpaid voluntary achievements in cultural, education, humanitarian, patriotic, historical, citizenship or environmental conservation endeavors. This year’s recipients were Ron and Yvette Emard. They were recognized for their many years of humanitarian projects in the Valley including their leadership of Kid’s Charities of the Antelope Valley, Communities for Christ and two local events Gracefest and Thunder on the Lot.
• Bronze JROTC Medal is awarded to either a junior or senior in a secondary JROTC Program. Requirements are the following: The student must be in the upper 25% of their classes in JROTC and academic subjects and must demonstrate qualities of dependability, good character, adherence to military discipline, leadership ability and a fundamental and patriotic understanding of the importance of JROTC training. The cadets honored this year are as follows:
• Cadet Cmdr. Cytlali Ballesteros, Antelope Valley High School, NJROTC
• Cadet Jason Harding, Highland High School, AFJROTC
• Cadet Captain Allynah Burke, Littlerock High School, AJROTC
• Cadet Denise Balderas, Rosamond High School, AFJROTC
The event began with the awards ceremony followed by a buffet Luncheon enjoyed by chapter members, awardees and their families and friends.