MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s top security official said Tuesday that “security is deficient in practically the whole country,” after a large group of migrants went missing in northern Mexico.
Public Safety Secretary Alfonso Durazo said the number of men pulled off a bus last week in the border state of Tamaulipas has been reported as anywhere between 19 and 25.
Durazo said the conflicting reports came from investigators and the bus driver concerning the mass abduction Thursday.
The driver said hooded men who pointed guns at the bus, and later climbed aboard, had a list of names of those they abducted. They were taken off, put into four vehicles driven by the attackers, and taken away. They still haven’t been located.
All were apparently male Central American migrants and Durazo said the missing men may have contracted with human traffickers to be smuggled into the United States, but they weren’t part of a caravan.
The kidnapping recalls the horrors of 2011, when dozens of passengers were hauled off buses by drug gangs in Tamaulipas, killed and their bodies dumped in mass graves.