The weather is beginning to catch up to the calendar, as the Antelope Valley was to have the first freezing temperatures of the season Thursday night, and a hard freeze watch is in effective tonight through Sunday morning.
The National Weather Service issued a freeze warning for Thursday night, with temperatures expected to tip below the freezing point, from 32 to 29 degrees. The warning was set to expire today at 9 a.m.
The hard freeze watch, issued at the same time, means the thermometer is expected to fall to between 22 and 28 degrees for the overnight hours through Sunday morning.
A hard freeze warning means temperatures are expected to be 28 degrees or lower for at least two consecutive hours, according to the weather service.
Residents should take precautions, including bringing pets inside and covering sensitive plants.
A hard freeze can also mean burst water pipes, and exposed pipes should be wrapped with insulation as a precaution.
Daytime temperatures today are expected to reach the lower to mid-60s, with northeast winds at 15 to 25 mph, gusting to 40 mph.
The weekend should be similar, sunny and with temperatures in the mid-60s to around 70 on Saturday and the lower to mid-60s on Sunday, according to the weather service.
The falling temperatures also led the Los Angeles County Health Officer to issue a cold weather alert for the Antelope Valley, running through Tuesday.
“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold weather. Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don’t get too cold when they are outside,” said Dr. Muntu Davis, Los Angeles County Health Officer. “There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities. We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbecues or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
The county health department recommends precautions for the colder weather, including dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors; wear a hat, scarf, gloves and socks to protect your head, hands and feet; check on family, friends and neighbors with limited mobility and limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill; and take shelter during peak cold times.
While heating your home, prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by using only approved heaters such as natural gas and fireplaces and install a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken outside, into fresh air, immediately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.
To share your opinion on this article or any other article, write a letter to the editor and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Letters to Editor, PO Box 4050, Palmdale CA 93590-4050.