The weather is beginning to catch up to the calendar, as the Antelope Valley was to have the first freezing tem­per­atures of the season Thurs­day night, and a hard freeze watch is in effective to­night through Sunday morning.

The National Weather Ser­vice issued a freeze warn­ing for Thursday night, with temperatures ex­pected to tip below the free­zing point, from 32 to 29 degrees. The warning was set to expire today at 9 a.m.

The hard freeze watch, issued at the same time, means the thermometer is expected to fall to between 22 and 28 degrees for the overnight hours through Sunday morning.

A hard freeze warning means temperatures are ex­pect­ed to be 28 degrees or lower for at least two consecutive hours, ac­cor­ding to the weather service.

Residents should take precautions, including bringing pets inside and covering sensitive plants.

A hard freeze can also mean burst water pipes, and exposed pipes should be wrapped with insulation as a precaution.

Daytime temperatures today are expected to reach the lower to mid-60s, with northeast winds at 15 to 25 mph, gusting to 40 mph.

The weekend should be similar, sunny and with temperatures in the mid-60s to around 70 on Sat­urday and the lower to mid-60s on Sunday, according to the weather service.

The falling temperatures also led the Los Angeles County Health Officer to issue a cold weather alert for the Antelope Valley, running through Tuesday.

“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold weather. Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don’t get too cold when they are outside,” said Dr. Muntu Davis, Los Angeles County Health Officer. “There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shel­ters or other public fa­cil­ities. We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbecues or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The county health de­part­ment recommends pre­cau­tions for the colder weath­er, including dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors; wear a hat, scarf, gloves and socks to protect your head, hands and feet; check on family, friends and neighbors with limited mo­bil­ity and limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill; and take shel­ter during peak cold times.

While heating your home, prevent carbon mon­ox­ide poisoning by using only approved heaters such as natural gas and fireplaces and install a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide poi­son­ing can cause shortness of breath, headaches, mus­cle and joint pain, and nau­sea. Exposure to high lev­els of carbon monoxide could lead to death within min­utes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poi­son­ing should be taken out­side, into fresh air, im­me­diately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate med­ical treatment.

To share your opinion on this article or any other article, write a letter to the editor and email it to editor@avpress.com or mail it to Letters to Editor, PO Box 4050, Palmdale CA 93590-4050.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.