LOS ANGELES (AP) — A student was recovering after being shot last month in the jaw at a Los Angeles middle school by someone authorities said was off-campus, according to a report Wednesday.
The student was injured Aug. 27 at Hollenbeck Middle School in the Boyle Heights neighborhood, though school district officials didn’t publicly acknowledge the incident until Tuesday, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The boy was in a lunch line when another student noticed he was bleeding near his ear, according to a written briefing provided by school Police Chief Steven Zipperman.
Nobody heard gunfire before the student felt something hit him, the briefing said. He was treated by a school nurse and his mother took him to a hospital.
Without any obvious evidence of a shooting or information about what struck the student, “this incident was deemed NOT an on campus-related crime,” Zipperman wrote.
The Times said parents were initially notified that a student was injured, and a follow-up message Tuesday said the injury was from an “off-campus discharge of a firearm.”